Monday, November 4, 2013

The internet, parenting, and all that good stuff in between.

I know it has been awhile but things have been busy...move, school, a 16 month old smack dab in the middle of  teenage sleep patterns with a bad case of the terrible twos and I got 16 and a half more years of this...oww buying stock in Advil now and hoping like hell they start a buy 5 get one free club like the coffee from gas stations anyways this was not the point of my blog this morning but if you know me well yah you know I normally tell six stories to tell one and I am doing it again so let me just get to the point.

Prior to having my daughter I never tried to really offer advice unless it was something I was sure of. I knew a little from watching 3 little ones grow up my other sister and I grew up together. I could relate to some parenting things but I never did the discipline, I never decided to breast feed or bottle feed, when to turn the car seat around, and other important decisions. They always joke kids do not come with instruction booklets....well now according to some parents they do and it is called Google and Web MD for all questions. The internet now seems to be everyone's favorite place to get child rearing advice. Now don't get me wrong there is some (and I use some loosely here) info that when used CORRECTLY can be helpful I mean all these years of eating Chinese and we just learned the container folds out into a plate. The catch with the info is to read it and discuss it with professionals...you know the ones that went to school for the stuff not found a website that would give them a free page and infinite wisdom.

The hardest thing for me I guess is I came from a time where we couldn't shop at home, I rode in a car with no seat belt, car seat or booster seat, vaccines were not optional, and if you had a question or needed advice you asked your doctor, mom, or family member. It was faster to call the doc then it was to sign onto AOL and hope they had an answer somewhere.

I am not bashing the internet nor the internet parents...I would be lost without the net. I mean really if there was no candy crush what would I do with my time? My point is this parents are getting younger and first time mom's will always have questions. NO two babies are alike and no one's way is exactly the right way. IT is time for Attachment parents to stop bashing the nonattached parents, it is time for people to stop looking to Google for all the answers...I mean seriously if everything on the net were true Jakie Chan would have had more lives then a cat and everyone would have some of Bill Gates money just for sharing his picture 27 times in two days. If and when your little one is ready to start doing something they will let you know. The 2 month old  that is staring down your lunch while you are eating a slice of pizza is probably ready for something other then the bottle. Vaccines are not evil and even if you are not sure of some ask a DOCTOR or NURSE not the net.

And another thing....you know it is great when we can come together and have conversations and good old fashion healthy debates on what works best. But  here is a list of tips  for users that like to use FB for this:

1. You never know who you are talking to and puffing up your chest and saying well I have had x number of kids may be not be a smart idea (really if you are doing it to the grandmother/aunt/any female relative) until you know for a fact the whole story.

2.Again your way is not the only way and I could give two shits what Dr. Oz, Dr. Phil, Dr. I got my show cause I can has to say when I heard from Dr. Ledbetter (you know the Doctor who has actually seen my child and knows who she is) that it is okay to start, try, do. If you want your kid to stare at the car seat till they are 3 by all means have at it. I know they do it in England but they also drive on the opposite side of the road....you gonna try everything they do over there?

3.Learn to agree to disagree and if you are debating your feelings and standings on how you are raising your child and getting butt hurt by what is being said. Stop take a deep breathe, log off your computer, and REMEMBER it is only FACEBOOK!!!! Unless they are gonna pay for medical bills when your child gets sick, an uber expensive car seat for your child, or pick up your rent bill and groceries this month so you can go buy all the stuff you need to meet their standard of parenting...go parent your child the way you see fit and as long as they make to 18 healthy and happy and with all attached limbs they were born with you did good.

Work with what you have and invite Mom, Aunt, Grandma, Friends over for coffee next time you need parenting help and I bet it will alot more fun then searching Google all by yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment